The wonderful and lovely Brandic32 at nothinginmynoggin (if you don’t already you really should read this blog) answered my last set of questions and then went and tagged me so It appears that I am ‘it’ again.
Here are the questions and answers this time round.
1. If we live on after we die, and we are able to take one object with us (not human or animal, sorry), what would you take and why?
Hmm. The first thing to say is that I’m not sure I like the idea of living on after I die. That whole thing about eternity does my head in.
Anyway, back to the question, I wouldn’t take anything sentimental because I definitely don’t want to feel sad for eternity. I was going to say a watch because I hate not knowing the time but on second thoughts I’m not sure it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the time in eternity – I expect it would drive one slightly mental. Oh I know – Can I take a book? If so, I’ll take the complete short stories of Muriel Spark because there are lots of them, they are very good, and they feel a bit different every time you read them.
2. Have you seen a good movie recently? (within the last year-ish) Please describe what it is about this movie that you liked.
I’m not a movie person I’m afraid. It’s one of my regular new year’s resolutions to see more films but I never seem to manage it. I did enjoy Greenberg but it’s not a recent film– it was sweet and sad and quirky. I also loved the line ‘You love me more than you think you do’ because it struck a chord with me at the time.
3. If someone gave you $1,000 – or 1,000 pounds, or 1,000 euros, etc depending on where you live – and you weren’t allowed to “invest it”, how would you spend it?
I’ll have 1000 Great British Pounds please and I wouldn’t dream about investing it! I’d love to say I’d buy something sensible, useful or charitable but I’d most probably buy frivolous things, like gadgets, clothes and shoes. I’m not as shallow as that makes me sound though!
4. Are you a morning person or a night person? Why do you prefer this time of day?
I have to say that I’m a night person but only by virtue of the fact that I am most definitely not a morning person. I HATE the mornings, especially in the winter. I generally need a couple of hours after waking before I can communicate with people politely.
5. If you could have your dream job, what would it be?
At the moment I have a job that I love, that I’m good at and that is well paid so I’m quite content with my lot. Still, as this is a dream can I opt to do exactly what I do now for maybe ten times the pay?!
6. If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life (and have no other access to any other music), what music album would you choose?
My favourite album is the Holy Bible by the Manic Street Preachers, but, as much as I love it I don’t think it’s one to listen to for the rest of your life! Instead I’ll choose The First Three Years by Frank Turner because it has most of my favourite Frank songs on and it’s longer than the average album.
7. Are you a fan of fireworks?
I’m not a big fan of fireworks. I personally find them a bit underwhelming, but worse than that they frighten my cat which is just not on.
8. If you could have a painting of anything on your wall, what would you want it to be of?
I have a one on my wall that was painted by the fair hand of a good friend of mine. It isn’t actually ‘of anything’, but if you look closely you can kinda see a skull. It’s not that I necessarily want a painting of a skull on my wall but I do like having something painted by a friend there. It’s a really good reminder of important things when the chips are down.
9. Is there anything special you like to keep at your bedside?
At the moment I have a picture of me and the twins* in a black gloss frame, a momiji doll, some hand cream and a book (Alice Walker’s The Colour Purple). I tend not to be too sentimental about ‘things’, so the stuff by my bed either looks good or fulfils a function.
10. What do you like to order when you go to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts or [substitute another favourite coffee/tea place here]?
I used to love a little place in Nottingham called the Bean where I always ordered a black Americano. But the Bean shut down and I gave up drinking coffee so now I opt for Earl Grey Tea or Green tea and I’m not fussy about the venue!
11. If you had the ability to be part human and part animal, and possess the best/strongest/most admirable traits of this animal in addition to the skills and traits you already possess, which animal would you want to morph with and why?
Can I be part giraffe please? That way I’d be able to use my super long neck to rise above all the rubbish in my head. But that’s not what you meant is it? Sorry!
That was jolly good fun, wasn’t it? I’m not going to tag anyone or set any more questions – not because I’m a stick-in-the-mud but because I’ve had one hell of a day and don’t have the mental capacity for it.
*The twins belong to one of my best friends, they are five and very cute.